There is nothing we can do but be quiet. Listen.
But there are 12 Things You can Do.
1. Ask, “What would be most helpful to you right now?”
2. Buy Gerber daisies.
3. Buy her a massage.
4. Take her for a hike up a mountain.
5. Ask her to give you her chore list.
6. Do her errands.
7. Pick up the dry cleaning.
8. Sit quietly.
9. Serve as a witness.
10. Radiate hope but not in an annoying way.
11. Pray for her.
12. Pray up. Pray hard. Pray deep. Pray that she will hack her way out of the swamps of despair.
You can’t talk or joke her way out of it. You can’t yank her out of it. Your love cannot save her. Only her love for herself can save her. We can’t offer happiness to anyone. It is not a gift that we can give. Be understanding but do not confuse pity with love. Pray again. And then wait some more.
What do you think? What have you done? What will you do?